We are pleased to announce that Voices will add a fourth staff member in early 2016. Please help us spread the word.
Position: Communications Associate
Location: Washington, DC
Voices for Civil Justice (Voices), the national communications hub for civil legal aid, seeks a Communications Associate to help raise awareness in the media of the vital role of civil legal aid in ensuring fairness in America’s justice system and in helping people protect their livelihoods, their health and their families. Voices is a project of the New Venture Fund.
The Communications Associate will work with Voices’ staff and its national communications firm of record to 1) increase coverage of civil legal aid in the national media; 2) improve capacity for media advocacy across the civil legal aid sector; and 3) expand and strengthen the “brand” of civil legal aid. The Communications Associate will report to Voices’ Deputy Director and will be a full-time, non-exempt employee of the New Venture Fund.
The position is ideal either for entry-level candidates with top qualifications or for those with 1-2 years of experience in strategic communications, campaigns or organizing.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop story ideas and sources for pitching to the media by working with Voices’ extensive national network of legal aid lawyers, court personnel, pro bono attorneys and others
- Cultivate relationships with reporters from both traditional and new media
- Increase the circulation and amplify the impact of successful media placements by using social media, email and other outlets
- Assist with developing and drafting blog posts, op-eds, social media posts and other written communications
- Grow and maintain a robust network of legal aid lawyers, court personnel, and other experts and spokespeople
- Track Voices’ media placements and other significant legal aid media clips and post them to the Voices website
- Perform other duties as required to accomplish Voices’ objectives of heightened media presence and communications capacity for civil legal aid
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong news sense and knowledge of the media
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as facility in Salesforce (or comparable constituent relationship management software) and WordPress (or comparable web platform)
- Adept at social media and graphic design, including proficiency in creating visual content
- Familiar with and interested in the issues that concern the legal aid sector and the civil courts, including problems of poverty and income inequality, as well as access to affordable housing, employment, health care and education
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in a communications-related field
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Research and database skills are a plus
Attributes and Abilities
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work independently and quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with a team to meet group objectives
- Well organized, detail-oriented and analytical
- Sense of humor
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume by email to Elizabeth Arledge, Deputy Director, arledge (at) voicesforciviljustice.org.
New Venture Fund Careers
Voices for Civil Justice is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Editing status on site: